Welcome!

If you are brand new to couponing and just visiting this blog you can start at the Coupons 101 - Overview to get a start on the how to's of couponing.

Always, feel free to contact me at thriftymomincolorado@gmail.com

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Shopping Ahead...Part 3 - The Gift Stash


Another way to "shop ahead" is to stock up on gifts during great sales for upcoming birthdays, holidays and special occasions.  It seems like every year around Christmas time, manufacturers start releasing some great toy coupons.  I always print these coupons right away as they seem to go really fast and hold on to them for a sale, or even better, for the after holiday clearance.  I have gotten Leapfrog toys/books, Playskool toys and other great name brand gifts for little cost or even free by doing this!

I try to buy fairly generic presents, meaning not too boy themed or girl themed unless I have a specific person or event in mind for the gift.  I also try really hard to not buy "trendy" presents because who knows how long they will be "cool."  You don't want to end up with a million Zhu-Zhu pets in your gift stash when they aren't the rage anymore!

Amazon had some killer deals around the holidays last year and I stocked up on enough toys for the kids in our lives, that I don't think I'll have to buy a single present this year, for a fraction of their retail cost!

My favorite presents to keep stocked in my kids gift stash are games, books, and puzzles - these toys are almost always a hit.

I also stock up on adult gifts when I get a great deal.  Even if I'm not sure who it is for, if it is 75% off or more on a quality item, I tend to buy it to throw in my gift stash.  Retailers like Hickory Farms have seasonal items that they clearance out after the holidays but have long shelf lives, so you can stock up to have around for gifts.

Do you "shop ahead" for gifts?  If so, what do you like to buy and what suggestions do you have for others?

1 comment:

  1. i shop ahead every year! It saves so much money, time and especially stress! I got married last october, so i made it my goal to have all of my christmas presents bought, wrapped, labeled, and hidden by the end of september, and i did it!

    That way i went right from wedding, to honeymoon, to thanks giving and into the 2nd week of december when friends and family started calling frantically demanding my "wish-list", and all i had to do was pop into my closet and pull out all the presents ready to go!

    The best part though...is because i bargain shop...and because i'm shopping for birthdays/holidays months in advance, it seems like i'm able to get a little more...or atleast something a little more meaningful for people because i have the time to give it some extra care, instead of those panicked last minutes trips to walmart...or the gift card isle on the way to the party/holiday. lol.

    ReplyDelete