Welcome!

If you are brand new to couponing and just visiting this blog you can start at the Coupons 101 - Overview to get a start on the how to's of couponing.

Always, feel free to contact me at thriftymomincolorado@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Do you or will you be planting a vegetable garden this year?

I love to grow my own vegetables and think it is a great learning activity for my kids.  My 3 year old understands that the vegetables we eat actually grow in the ground and on plants and that food doesn't just come from the store!  I think that gardening is a thrifty choice as well, since there is little investment besides the seeds and water and you can grow lots of vegetables, even in a pretty small garden.

I only have one small box garden but plan on growing lettuce, some peppers, a couple of tomato plants, peas and some herbs this year.  I always plant some lettuce as the bugs tend to eat it and leave the rest of my plants alone - I consider it my sacrificial lettuce and if there is any that isn't destroyed it is a nice bonus to actually eat some!

I'm super excited since I plan on starting everything from seed this year versus buying already established plants (a thriftier move cost wise if you can plan far enough ahead).  We are getting ready to start the seeds that need to be started inside in the next few weeks so that they are ready to move outside once it is warm enough.

I know that there are many sources of seeds, but was told about $1.50 packs of certified organic seeds that were available at Walmart.  I stopped by this weekend and was able to find a huge display of them.  That is a pretty good price for organic seed and they had a large selection of vegetables and herbs to choose from.

Will you be gardening this year?  If so, what are you planning to grow?

3 comments:

  1. What area of Colorado do you live in? I'm in the Springs, and it's pretty hard to grow veggies here unless you have it planned really well. I want to try to grow some tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, and a few others, along with herbs. We'll see...it'll be an experiment this year. If you know of any good tips for growing in this area please pass them along! :)
    Michele
    http://mybrazilianlife-michele.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, I think the hardest part about growing here in the Denver area is the late season start. Other than that, we just used dirt from a patio project to make a garden bed in the sunniest part of our backyard, and we use our own compost for fertilizer. The clay soil in CO can be a real challenge also but has been working for us. This is our third year with a garden and this time we have started our indoor garden with seeds to move outdoors in warmer weather! We will have tomatoes, corn, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, jalapenos, carrots, and an assortment of herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thriftymomincoloradoMarch 10, 2010 at 2:55 PM

    Michele, I agree with a lot of what Carmen says. We also compost our own fertilizer which I think really helps the garden. I've also found that my plants tend to do better when started from seed indoors, even plants that don't necessarily say to start indoors first, or when I purchase already established plants (which isn't really that thrifty). Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete