Welcome!

If you are brand new to couponing and just visiting this blog you can start at the Coupons 101 - Overview to get a start on the how to's of couponing.

Always, feel free to contact me at thriftymomincolorado@gmail.com

Monday, February 15, 2010

Walgreens - How to "roll" Register Rewards

I have been asked a few times how to "roll" the Register Rewards (RR)s at Walgreens. "Rolling" means using a RR you already have, to purchase a different product and receive another RR. There is one major trick to get this to work correctly and that is to not use the RR from the same manufacturer for the new product. The manufacturer of the product can be found right here on the RR...
(sorry for the bad picture it is the best I could get!)

It is the part that is circled in red in the middle of the coupon, below the Walgreens written in red and above the bar code (that I covered with the other piece of paper).

We already know not to use a RR from the exact item to purchase it again, or the RR won't print. But the tricky part is that some of these manufacturers sell multiple brands and if you use a RR that is from one product to purchase a different product that is sold by the same manufacturer, you may not get your RR.

Let me give you an example. Let's pretend Crest toothpaste is on sale for $3 and you get a $2 RR when you buy it and that Tide is on sale for $10 get a $5 RR. I purchase Crest, which is manufactured by Procter & Gamble (PG) and get the $2 RR. I then go and purchase Tide in another transaction, which is also manufactured by PG and use my $2 RR from the Crest deal, I will not receive the $5 Tide RR. This is because both products are PG products and the system will not generate a new RR when I purchase with the original PG RR.

It is always important to look at the manufacturer/retailer listed on the RR you want to use and make sure it doesn't match the manufacturer/retailer listed on the product you want to buy.

There are always exceptions to this rule, but I try to never use RRs from the same manufacturer when trying to "roll" them. It prevents confusion and frustration on my end.

Many cashiers will tell you that if you use a RR to purchase a product, a new RR won't print and this IS NOT the case! They just don't know the details of the system. Just make sure not to use RRs from the same manufacturer.

I am going to start giving scenarios/ideas on how to "roll" your RRs. Here is my first transaction...I had a $7 RR from the Zicam deal and an $8 RR from the Blink RR deal 2 weeks ago. When using RRs to pay, your total needs to be above the amount they are worth before tax. So when I was trying to decide what to do, because my old RRs were expiring today, I was looking for items that would produce more RRs so I can "roll" them again in the next few weeks.

I purchased:
2 Twizzlers = 2/$3, mmm I love licorice!
2 Hershey's Products = $2/8, chocolate is good too!
2 Crest Pro-Health Mouthwashes = 2/$7
2 Tuf Paper Towels $.50 each, used as fillers to get up to $15 total
Total before coupons = $19

I used:
2 $2/1 Crest Pro-Health Coupons
$7 RR from the Zicam
$8 RR from the Blink Tears
Total coupons used = $19

Total Spent = $1.12 out of pocket (OOP), all of which was tax!

I got all of the goodies listed above and received a $5 RR for purchasing $10 or more of Hershey's products (Twizzlers are included in this) and $2.50 RR for purchasing 2 Crest Pro-Health mouthwashes.

Sometimes when there are money makers on products (when there is a coupon paired with a RR usually) you can actually get product and leave with more in RRs that you walked in with!

Stay tuned as I'll continue posting how I am "rolling" my RRs!

If you have questions, feel free to shoot me an email at thriftymomincolorado@gmail.com or leave a comment and I'll reply back.

New to shopping at Walgreens? Go here and here for helpful information to get you started.

No comments:

Post a Comment